Sunday, May 8, 2011

Exciting Weekend at Baum

The weekend got off to an early start as the Diamond Hogs' series against the Florida Gators began on Thursday rather than Friday.  ESPNU televised the game from beautiful Baum Stadium on both Thursday and Saturday evenings.  The Gators always bring a strong team and this season is no exception - they're one of the top teams in the country.  It was so exciting to have Baum packed full of fans to showcase college baseball at it's best to the entire country!  My friend Sheree from Chicago was in town on business and stayed over on Friday evening to attend the Hogs game with me.  She loves to attend Naturals (our local AA team) games when she's in town and each time we've been at Arvest Ballpark I've told her that I wish she could see a game at Baum Stadium - that there's just nothing better.  Oh my goodness what a night she chose!  The Hogs had won a close game on Thursday and I was especially anxious to share the wonder of Baum with her that Friday night.  As we pulled into the parking lot she said, "This reminds me of Arvest Ballpark."  I was stunned and said, "It's nothing like Arvest Ballpark.  This one's red brick."  I am particularly fond of red brick ballparks, but that's a whole other story.  I think she was surprised at my reaction, not really knowing my true feelings about Baum Stadium.  Once inside, I mentioned that it was sort of like Arvest with the open concourse.  She stated that she'd only been to 4 ballparks, Arvest Ballpark, Baum Stadium, Cominsky Park and Wrigley Field.  I agreed with her then... it was most like Arvest Ballpark.  It was a beautiful night for baseball and Sheree just kept saying how relaxed she was - just what she needed after a long meeting that day.  I finally told her that it was relaxing because she didn't really have a dog in the hunt... it was a tight game but the Hogs pulled out another win - the only team to have taken a series from Florida at that point in the season.  We lost on Saturday but all was good.  Sheree learned to 'call the Hogs', met Ribby and experienced her first corn dog! Sharing one of my favorite places in NWA with one of my very favorite people made it another Baum weekend to remember! 



I spent today with my folk's in PG to celebrate Mother's Day.  It was just Mom, Dad and me so it was a nice quiet day - the kind we all seem to enjoy the most anymore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment